The Catholic Sentinel is the diocesan newspaper for the Archdiocese of Portland. We are a twice-monthly tabloid, usually about 20 pages. Our focus is local and specific — we are interested in Oregon people and Oregon issues. Our readers have access to other media for other information; our local niche is unique. We have use for the following materials from freelancers:
- Feature stories about local Catholics living out their faith. These profiles may run in the range of 600 to 1,500 words. Payment for these features is competitive for the market and depends on the effort involved and the quality of the work. We generally ask the freelancer to arrange for a photo; if there’s any charge, the Sentinel pays it, but we need to coordinate beforehand.
- Columns about local, national or international issues of interest. These columns run 600 words. From freelancers, we prefer some direct experience with the topic and some local connection. We use a mugshot of the writer with the column. We do not pay for these pieces.
- Letters to the editor. We prefer these to be 150 words; and we reserve the right to cut them for space or appropriateness. The letters must be written in a spirit of Christian charity. We will spike any letters we regard as mean-spirited. And for our part, we will refrain from using unflattering epithets to describe those with whom we disagree. No payment.
- News items about parish, school and parishioners' events. Send press release to sentinel@CatholicSentinel.org, or mail it to Catholic Sentinel, 5536 NE Hassalo, Portland, OR 97213.
- Always query first. The editor makes all assignments.
- Please use standard manuscript format: double-spaced, with the writer’s name and a slug on every page, a writer’s name and address and a rough word count on page 1. Send press release to sentinel@CatholicSentinel.org, or mail it to Catholic Sentinel, 5536 NE Hassalo, Portland, OR 97213.